Thursday, May 10, 2012

Crazy Traffic or Messy Attitude?



May 10, 2012

It was one of the rare evenings when I left work at so-called “peak-traffic” hour. OK – if we get real, there is no non-peak traffic hour now. The roads are always blocked, there is perpetual construction on my commute to work, and traffic is always bad – whenever you get on the road. The three miles stretch at times take as much as an hour. It would be faster if I stroll, but probably that would be simplest way to commit suicide. Anyways, today was one of the most stressful drives back home. And trust me, I am not exaggerating a bit.

So – this is what happened – I had about 40 minutes before I had to get on a call, and the weather was turning yellow. I thought why not get on the road, and go home. Right – not the smartest decision. But anyways, I started.
  1. The narrow lane which can barely manage two cars driving together at a time, was chocked with something funny happening for the metro construction. And my fellow drivers, had no patience, and were probably imagining that they were in a car video game, and with the competitiveness and killer instincts, they wanted to reach their destination as fast as they could. So, there, they formed multiple lanes. Seriously, summers, and the Continuous Honking Syndrome that we all NCR drivers possess, why would you want  to drive brushing each other? And even before, do you think you would be able drive at all on what is left of the road?
  2. There were tankers and tractors among the regular vehicles. Seriously, they must be thinking that they are riding a bike. Dude, with that kind of traffic jam, you don’t just change lanes for the fun of it. It blocks other traffic, and delays you further.
  3. Now, dear sir, didn’t someone tell you that if you have to turn left, it might be ideal if you are in the left lane. In such a chaos, you will bang someone… and yes, there you did bang into that Xylo.
  4. Wait – will you actually get out, and show the rage/power? Seriously – you blocked the other traffic, let people honk, and delayed us all for over 10 more minutes.
  5. Now, madame, do you even have room to change lanes? And the purpose? Like what is it that you are trying to achieve. Oh silly me – must be wanting to satisfy your “james bond” wannabe.
  6. Most people ( OK that includes me as well) were checking emails on their phones, texting, talking. We are so busy – what can we do. Probably the world will end if we focus just on the driving for the killer three miles.
  7. Now – this dude and damsel ( Ford Fiesta, Red Color, UP #) were actually fooling around/messing around in the middle of traffic. Dude, I am honking – mess around all that you want, but don’t turn your steering. You almost banged into my car. Darn!
  8. Now this guy, in white city, actually turned around, in the diversion on the wrong side, and sped. How I wish I could do that.
  9. Finally, when we crawled, and reached another narrow multi lane, there were cars parked on the road(without drivers). They were occupying more than a lane. Really dude, you are the only one who pay taxes. Or wait, what am I thinking  - probably you own the road. I should be grateful that you left some place for people to drive.
I had read somewhere that driving is a reflection of attitudes prevailing in a society. Seriously, does that mean NCR is abundant with impatience, breaking rules, fighting , entitlement mindset? Only if we show patience, respect lanes, and believe that all of us share roads, wouldn’t driving be far better? Wouldn’t roads be less jammed? What if there was someone who needed to be rushed to the hospital, or some other emergency? Do we even wait and think what are we making of a society?

No comments:

Post a Comment

London Through My Lens - Au Revoir Time

I promised my dear friend that I will write blog on my London - and my observations. It has been 6 weeks that I left London - and I still ...