Saturday, May 5, 2012

Winter Wonderland – Switzerland



“When it snows, ain't it thrilling,
Though your nose gets a chilling
We'll frolic and play, the Eskimo way,
Walking in a winter wonderland.”



I love this Christmas carol –festivities and happiness all around, cheery lights, mulled wine, cinnamon toasts, coffee, gingerbread cookies, sexy jackets, cashmere, scarves, boots, and layers of clothing.



It also reminds me of beautiful pristine snow, bone chilling winds, and thin layer of ice in my hair, teeth, and tongue. 

November -December 2010  – I happened to be in yet another winter wonderland – Switzerland. It is a wonderland all seasons, but in winters, it has a magical charm – snow-capped mountains, frozen lakes, people singing carols, and Christmas bazaars with small kiosks of mulled wines, and potato and cheese. It has all what it takes to transpose you into one of those fairy tales that you grow up reading.




Bahnhofstrasse

Famous for Swiss Banks, and all the luxury international brands really turn into gold when Christmas lights go up/down. I was lucky to go there, right at the crack of dusk, when they turned on the festive lights. And the moment I looked up, it felt fresh snow-flakes on my face. I have never been to heaven – but it was sure a heavenly experience ;). 




After walking the night through picturesque Zurich,  I went to Christmas Bazaar the next afternoon. Amongst many attractions, I noticed that a huge  tree was set up. 


I could never guess that there were small benches hidden in each layer of tree ( yeah – not the best description). Then, suddenly,  all these carol singers appeared. They almost looked like real-life lights on the tree. 



Next to whole set up were small kiosks with all the Christmas goodies, mulled wine, traditional swiss food, friendly people, and cheer and laughter around. The evening ended with an awesome, happy parade








Jungfraujoch 

One of the other many things that I did was Jungfraujoch and Interlaken – It was the last tour of the season to Jungfraujoch ( Top of Europe). I am sure though, every year, it might be a great idea to go there in November-December – in 2010, it was almost insane. However, taking the faith of leap, and my mind off work for the weekend, I decided to take the group tour.








I could barely see Sphinx and Glaciers because it was snowing and crazy, and it seemed like a white oblivion, I ran out of Oxygen – but walking and slipping through Ice museum was an experience on its own. 







Like they say, enjoy the journey. The cog-wheel ride, frozen crystal lakes, and the guide explaining everything was worth the day. And this is my definite “to-do” again if I happen to go there again in Spring/Summer.






Most people ( non-skiiers) go to Switzerland in Spring and Summer – I would say don’t miss winters in Switzerland ;).








No comments:

Post a Comment

London Through My Lens - Au Revoir Time

I promised my dear friend that I will write blog on my London - and my observations. It has been 6 weeks that I left London - and I still ...