Saturday, May 26, 2012

A Day in Milano, Italy - Caffe Macchiato, Tiramisu, Gelatos and Prada


April 2011

My love for Italy had started way before - but after my tryst with Italian food, deserts, gelatos, and coffee, it had only gone stronger. So, when I was in Brunnen, Switzerland, I decided to seize the opportunity, and hope over (ok - not literally hop over, but take a 3 hour train to Milano Centrale) to Milan for lunch.

The world goes to Milan for fashion, high-end brands, and The Last Supper, but my priorities were totally different. I wanted to get a feel of Italy ( didn’t have time for Rome, Venice, Naples or Florence), and eat  authentic gelatos and tiramisu. 


So, on an unusually nice and warm Spring Saturday, I got up at 5:00 AM and boarded the train to Milan. The train ride from Brunnen to Milan is an experience on its own – with a panoramic view of the Alps. And to top that, I was lucky to have a fellow Italian traveler. She was reading a book on India, and was totally fascinated with India and its culture. And here I was, making a trip to Milan – and totally fascinated with Italy. So, after three hours of talking about India and Italy, I landed at Milano Centrale. 


The station from the inside is like any other European train station – the only difference being that you need a Euro to use the washroom. But when you step out, and look at it – it is beautiful and intricate.

Piazza del Duomo

Out of the station, I took a cab to the Duomo Cathedral. On the way, the cab driver pointed the Pirelli towers – glass-bound skyscraper, and very beautiful. The towers clearly stood out – rather than blending in. When I reached the Duomo Cathedral, I was welcomed by a breath taking and a grand site - The Gorgeous, Gothic Cathedral. The exteriors of the cathedral were striking with numerous spires, and the interiors were massive. It is said that the interiors can hold over 40,000 people at a time. What I missed was going to the top. I only got to know later about the raving reviews of the view from the top afterwards.



 The other thing that was breath taking, literally were a million pigeons around Vittorio Emanuele II Statue. I was too scared to go near them, and click them. But what amazing was that people were actually paying good money to get clicked with them.


After spending an hour there, and clicking over a 100 pictures, I went to what is called as Galleria Vittorio Emmanuele II.  The boutique shopping plaza, was lively. It had elegant dining and shopping places, and vibrant energy inside, and fake goods kiosks ( including GUCCI, Prada, Louis Vutton bags and sun glasses) outside. The two things very interesting were the fake and genuine shops together; and the glass ceilings and art in the plaza.



 This was “the place” for Tiramisu, Prosseco, Caffe Macchiato, and Brick Oven Pizza. In addition to food and shopping, there were  entertainers and a lane where you could eat the “to-die-for” GELATOS.


Next to the galleria was an Opera House; and a numerous options for city tours. Even though I just had a few hours to spare, I decided to take the hop-on and hop off tour. I am a big fan of these tours – they give you the feel of city and some nice nuggets of information. 
On line A, my next stop was Sforzesco Castello.
At the entrance of the castle is a beautiful fountain – a welcome break from the heat. And also a kiosk to buy drinks and some food – Tonic Water topping the list.  



The mighty red brick castle was built in Renaissance Milan – with Leonardo da Vinci designing the defenses, and Napoleon altering the design. In the modern era, the castle hosts a series of museums. The inner yard of the castle is beautiful to walk around, and click some pictures. And if you are alone, there are people who would offer to click your pictures for a Euro.



I hopped back on Line B – skipping the Last Supper because I did not have reservation in advance. ( Note to self – mark this for next time).  Soaking the city, and listening to the audio guide, I decided to make another stop. Now, being in the fashion capital, a girl’s gotta do what she gotta do – SHOP. So, I finally stopped at Buenos Aires. It is a shopping district, with numerous shops, and some of them are pretty affordable. After walking around, I bough a pair of  Prada sunglasses – literally Prada from Milano. J

Finally, I had another Caffe Macchiato, and took a cab back to Milano Centrale – having done what all I love to do – explore city, admire well dressed citizens, chat, eat good food, and shop J.  And I am thinking if I can holiday in Italy next summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

London Through My Lens - Au Revoir Time

I promised my dear friend that I will write blog on my London - and my observations. It has been 6 weeks that I left London - and I still ...