Thursday, June 7, 2012

Email Management Tips - Less than 5 days OOO and Over 5000 Emails

I was out of office (OOO) for 5 days. And for some reason or the other, I could only access 10% of my emails. Yes, I do use a BlackBerry, but these days were full. And the extremely hot weather and power cuts did not leave me with enough energy to assimilate emails. So, the mails got accumulated, and I ended up with over 5000 emails in a span of less than 5 days. And this was when none of my team was working over the weekend. Phew!!

Now - I detest having stressful day on the first day back at work, and so, i work on clearing my mails as soon as I can. That ways, I can have intelligent conversation with the teams, and spend time with the teams when I am back. It also gives me a feeling that I am back in control, being a control freak that I am.

Sharing some tips -

  • If possible, spend a couple of hours on the last day of vacation organizing the mailbox. Or, have an early start on the first day back.
  • Sort by Subject. It is quite possible that the action is already taken, or someone has resolved the issue for you. Read the last mail first, and immediately file these bunch, or Flag the last mail for follow up, if needed. (20%)
  • Sort by Important Email. Outlook has a Search Folder. Identify and act on these - address, delete, defer, delegate.
  • Search for Non Biz - some senders are indeed helpful to call that out in the subject. Yes, they can be easily moved to the Later folder.( 2%) Else look for multiple Fw: Fw: Fw: -- you will know that they aren't the ones that will need an immediate attention ( 5%)
  • Use Color Coding, and Rules Assistant. I find it extremely useful. Mails that I am in cc; or I received because I was a part of certain DLs can be deferred.(18%)
  • Sort by Sender - Clients/Manager/Team/Support Functions/Others.
    • If you can respond to an email in a minute or two, do that immediately.( 15%)
    • If you need to delegate the task, or response to someone - immediate ( 15%)
    • Follow Up Flag ( 15%)
    • Need an action from you - Flag for Action ( 10%)
Finally, do not stress too much if you missed something. You will either get a reminder, or a call :-). 

All this helps me not get buried under an email hell; and a clean mailbox give me a zen feeling. 

Happy to help!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

London Through My Lens - Au Revoir Time

I promised my dear friend that I will write blog on my London - and my observations. It has been 6 weeks that I left London - and I still ...