Thursday, June 28, 2012

Eating Blue - Blue Decor, Blue Light, Blue Curacao Decoration on plate!!!


estia - Cuisines of the Mediterranean @ aloft Bangalore

I had the honor of sole dining at estia yesterday. Taking an early flight and going straight to a long work day, I was really looking forward to a nice meal. The name estia intrigued me. Legend has it that estia originates from the word Hestia; and Hestia was a Greek goddess of the hearth. Legend ( well aloft legend at least) had it that the restaurant was set in an alluring ambiance. Well don't people tell you that you need to pick a restaurant for reasons other than just ambiance? But people also tell you never stop learning :-). Anyhow, so, I make a stop at the restaurant - and decide to write on the experience --
  • Probably alluring means shades of blue. The blue decor is nice; but bluish lights on the blue decor -- not happening dude!  Probably- you identifying Mediterranean with everything blue!!
  • The four corners of the restaurant has four different type of table settings; and four different type of light; and four different types of tables. 
  • The dress code for waiters is blue t-shirts. What a surprise. And how innovative that is.
  • Now, even if you are alone, they want to seat you in the darkest corner. Probably because they don't other people to know that you are alone.Wait - you don't see many people in the  restaurant  anyways.
  • Service also makes you feel blue. Unless you ask for it - they don't give you the menu -- probably inline with the theme blue. Or, probably they want you to wait longer so that people can come, thinking it is a busy place.
  • However, they try to reduce the annoyance of waiting with nice, Greek music. 
  • My order Falafel Wrap in Pita bread; Asparagus and Tender Peas Soup - served with truffle foam and healthy infusion ( essentially a carrot and orange juice); followed by Tiramisu
Now a quick review of the food
  • What they call a Pita bread is actually a tortilla kind of thing. And they decorate the plate with a blue curacao syrup --- not happening, or appetizing. However, the taste of the sandwich was not bad at all. The vinegary onion in the wrap was actually a good customization.
  • No truffle foam and a bit-too much salt in the soup. However, if you could get past the excessive salt, the taste of the soup ain't that bad.
  • Healthy infusion might have been healthy; but nothing to write home about
  • Tiramisu - way too much of Sugar - but after all, a dessert is a dessert; especially when you are overstuffed.
All- in- all, the plates weren't blue... probably because they don't want you to feel completely blued. All -in-all -- I might eat again at that place :-).

6 comments:

  1. I have been horribly sick all day but this made me feel hungry. Though from your description I have no idea why you would ever go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are better now Shireen. You are right -- but I might go back only if I stay @ the same hotel ;)

      Delete
  2. its not that horrible.... may b you went alone and didn't think of inviting a deserving n hungry soul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right - hungry and deserving millionaire soul ;).. I should have ;).

      Delete
  3. hey.. i saw you again in that blue decor restaurant eating blue food... u r in love with this hotel n restaurant... !!! enjoy the food this time..

    ReplyDelete

London Through My Lens - Au Revoir Time

I promised my dear friend that I will write blog on my London - and my observations. It has been 6 weeks that I left London - and I still ...