Friday, June 22, 2012

Finally a Confession - Shopping Addiction or Retail Therapy



I almost passed out on receiving an SMS alert on the credit due on my card. Where the hell did I spend this much money – this month? If I ask my friends, or family – they would say well, you say the same thing every month.  Within few minutes, with an unidentified nervousness, I opened my e-statement. 
&^%$#@! 
I had, like always, indulged in expenses on things that I really don’t need. 

If I seek professional help, they would recommend a strict therapy; and would even tell me random reasons for my unjustified spending ( like emotional deprivation, impulsive, compulsive, freak). Oh well!!
In introspection:
  • I always get a high from shopping. Seriously, whether I am paying credit, or cash – just exchanging with it a bag is like a therapy in itself.
  • I always buy things thinking I will need it; should use it – but never do. I am one of those people who thinks that buying skin care products would make my skin better; or buying make up would automatically make me look elegant.
  • I walk away with purchases when none were needed. Even at a grocery store, I will end up picking things thinking they are healthy; or good – or will help in weight loss. The only think that happens is that I end up throwing them after expiration.
  •  I always buy things for myself when I am shopping for others.  The most ridiculous one was that I picked up three pair of shoes, while looking for one for my niece.
  • I am unable to resist a sale or bargain. If it is cheap, or discounted- I will pick it. You know you always need clothes to wear when you come home after work. Really, if you work long hours, you only change into sleeping clothes. So what with all the casual T-s and Bottoms that I buy at a bargain and never wear.
  • I end up buying things even if they don’t fit – the only parameter that they need to qualify is a sale and a designer label.
  • Sometimes, even when I am working, I think of shopping.
  • I can’t even count things that I bought but never used.
  • At times I feel so guilty after shopping – to the point of sickness.
  • I have bought additional suitcases at my travels – just to stuff the &^%$# that I buy.
  • I almost never say never to shopping.
  • Just recently, I bought numerous lipsticks, when I hardly wear any. Worse, they were all the same color family.
Every girl, worth her salt has an overflowing closet – clothes, shoes, make-up….but mine is out of control.

One of my dearest friends had told me once that she often asks herself “Will I die if I don’t buy this thing – before buying anything”. This stayed with me; but with a sequencing mix. I think about this when looking at the credit card statement. Miss you girlfriend!!


5 comments:

  1. HAHAHA comically true :). Here are some quotes that so reminded me of you while watching Confessions of a Shopaholic:
    1) You know that thing when you see someone cute and he smiles and your heart kind of goes like warm butter sliding down hot toast? Well that's what it's like when I see a store. Only it's better.
    2) When I shop, the world gets better, and the world is better, but then it's not, and I need to do it again.
    3) Read Suze = dimple, Rebecca = Kari
    Suze: Bex! Two hundred dollars on Marc Jacobs underwear?
    Rebecca Bloomwood: [pours the tequila] Oh, underwear is a basic, human, right.
    Suze: Seventy eight dollars on lavender honey?
    Rebecca Bloomwood: I felt sorry for the shop assistant. She had a lazy eye. I didn't know which way she was looking! I didn't know if she was looking at me, it was so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFL.... Ha ha ha ha ha.... love you girlfriend... Can't wait to see you.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An Anonymous person sent me the note -- and i thought of capturing it here. Thank you for the note though.


    after reading your blog, i realize that i m not the only one who love shopping:

    was in the similar situation in the past where in my credit card payments hae crossed my limits and one find day i did retrospection about my expenditure and after effects,
    some of my findings are given below:

    1. lack of engagement activity : besides office work, i dont have any other engagement acitvity, that is why i love spending my time shopping
    2. lack of passion \ obsesson \ hobby : one of the reason is i dont hvae a deep interest in music, reading, theatre or any other such acivity and shopping comes handy
    3. as you have rightly mention that shopping gives you a kick \ makes you feel high, you are right,

    somethings you may want to try and i tried some of them
    1. whenever you feel like going for shopping, please go ahead and clean your almirahs
    2, try engaging yourself in yoga, meditation, learning music, sports or theater
    3. may be you want to try going out for a walk or may be talking \ organising a get together or involving yourself in one o one conversation with somebody,
    4. you have varied interests llke photography, writing now you need to explore,
    5. you may want to spend sometime giving a helping hand for needy student

    the above are my thoughts and not intend to hurt \ guide you

    thanks

    ReplyDelete

London Through My Lens - Au Revoir Time

I promised my dear friend that I will write blog on my London - and my observations. It has been 6 weeks that I left London - and I still ...