Thursday, April 12, 2012

4 AM and 400 Steps to Sunrise

Pokhran, Nepal - December '2011


Evening Before--


Travel Agent - OK ma'am, the driver will pick you at 4:00 AM.


I - 4: 00 AM - Seriously! I am on vacation. We should start a little late?


Travel Agent - But ma'am, you wanted to see sun rise.


I -Yes, but the sun will not rise at 4:00 AM


Travel Agent - But ma'am, you will need to climb 400 steps to see the sun rise.

I - Really - what could be so captivating that I will get up at 4:00 AM, and climb 400 steps to see the sun rise. Don't I see sun daily.

Travel Agent - But ma'am - you paid for it. We will not be able to refund the money

As if that was my concern. My mom was listening to this conversation, and she immediately stepped in.

Mom - Please come at 4:00. We will go.

Travel Agent - OK ma'am. Be prepared and wear lots of woollens.

I - Just to save money, we will get up at 4:00, and who will climb those freakin' stairs

Mom - I would. You don't need to come if you don't want.

I - Fine!! I will sleep in the car.

4:00 AM next day, and 400 steps later - i was actually captivated by the eternal beauty of sun rising through Himalayas. When the sun slowly rose through the mountains, and spread its golden rays on snow-capped peaks, all I wanted to do was soak in its warmth. The experience was completely surreal.

Now I know why it is a must do in Nepal. I will totally get up for the experience again!. Thanks Mom!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

London Through My Lens - Au Revoir Time

I promised my dear friend that I will write blog on my London - and my observations. It has been 6 weeks that I left London - and I still ...